The NASCAR Drive for Diversity Crew Member Development Program presented by Sprint will kick-off the 2010 season Daytona International Speedway. Eight current NASCAR Drive for Diversity pit crew athletes, along with at least three program graduates, will go over-the-wall during Speedweeks competition.
Seven current NASCAR Drive for Diversity Crew Member program participants will compete with teams in the ARCA Racing Series event on Feb. 6. The ARCA Racing Series is used as a stepping stone for pit crew athletes looking to compete in NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, NASCAR Nationwide Series or NASCAR Sprint Cup Series as they develop their skills.
One D4D pit crew athlete, Anwar Parrish, will compete in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series with Front Row Motorsports in 2010. Parrish will make his debut with the team during the Daytona 500.
“Our Drive for Diversity pit crew athletes have trained hard during the off-season,” said pit crew coach Phil Horton. “It’s important for their development to get them real world, over-the-wall experience. We’re proud to have 11 pit crew athletes representing Drive for Diversity in Daytona.”
Three NASCAR Drive for Diversity program graduates – Dion Williams, Kenyatta Houston and Antonio Morrison – have been competing with teams in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and will continue to compete at national touring series level in 2010. Williams works for Hendrick Motorsports, Houston works for Kevin Harvick Inc. and Furniture Row Racing and Morrison works for Joe Gibbs Racing.
The NASCAR Drive for Diversity Crew Member Development Program presented by Sprint is a comprehensive year-round training program for minority and female pit crew athletes. The program teaches aspiring pit crew members the fundamentals, discipline and confidence required to be a top athlete on pit road. The pit crew training program includes hands-on over-the-wall position training for tire changers, tire carriers, fuelers and jackmen, as well as weight training, agility and footwork programs.
Current NASCAR Drive for Diversity Crew Member Development Program presented by Sprint pit crew athletes:
- Rayshaud Barkley, 27, of Chesapeake, Va., will compete as a jackman for Cunningham Motorsports in the ARCA Racing Series.
- Tesfa Lee, 29, of Brooklyn, N.Y., will compete as a tire changer with Coulter Motorsports in the ARCA Racing Series.
- Lionel Legra, 24, of Miami, Fla., will go over-the-wall in the ARCA Racing Series as a tire carrier for Cunningham Motorsports.
- Marcus McGruder, 27, of Atlanta, is a tire changer and will be competing with Cunningham Motorsports in the ARCA Racing Series.
- Anwar Parrish, 27, of Shelby, N.C., will be competing as a tire carrier with Front Row Motorsports in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
- Josh Edwards, 24 of Ocala, Fla., will compete with Cunningham Motorsports as a jackman in the ARCA Racing Series.
- Kevin Richardson, 23 of Elizabethtown, N.C., is a tire changer and will be competing in the ARCA Racing Series with Cunningham Motorsports.
- Richie Williams, 26, of Camden, S.C., will compete as a jackman for Coulter Motorsports in the ARCA Racing Series.
Back to News